Thursday 21 October 2010

Rory the Rabbit in Rwanda

Rory the rabbit in Rwanda!
Hi all,
I hope all is well there. I’m sure at this stage you are all looking forward to the mid-term break. Time is passing so quickly! I’ll be here 7 weeks on Saturday.
Yesterday, I was given a rabbit!! I was visiting a lovely school in Ngororero. The children, teachers and principal were all lovely. I had to stand on a chair in the yard to introduce myself. It reminded me of scenes in the film Michael Collins! So I was having a lovely day and then when the moto driver arrived to bring me home, the principal presents me with a box. Then the box starts to move and I immediately realised they’d given me one of the rabbits that I’ve seen earlier in the hutch. It was so funny! Thankfully they gave the box to the moto driver to hold because I don’t think I’d have managed to get him home in one piece. When I finally opened the box, the poor rabbit was shaking. I don’t suppose he’d ever been on a motorbike before.
I decided to name him Rory (not after my friend and VSO volunteer Ruairí) because me and my brother would always say “What’s the story, Rory?” and I figured it’s as good a name as any. Plus it works as a girl’s name too if it turns out that Rory is a girl! Plus you’ve got to have alliteration! So the Rwandans think I’m mad because I don’t want to eat him. I’m not sure what I’ll do with him but for now he’s living in my garden and at night he sleeps with the night guard in one of the outhouses.
Today, I went to visit another school. I will help them with their PTA. It reminded me of all my friends on the Aston Village PTA. The principal was a really lovely man. He was very interested to learn about Ireland. He thought Ireland was a province of the UK searching for independence. I brought a history book of Ireland with me that I’m going to lend him as he is very interested in Ireland now.
We’ve been without electricity for the past two days. Here you buy credits and add them to the meter. However, the computer connection at the shop has been down so we had to wait. I think that next time we’ll make sure to buy extra before run out. However, it wasn’t too bad as we have kerosene lamps and stoves so we were well equipped for the dark.
Last week, I bought some material to have some clothes made. Material is quite cheap here. On Saturday I will go to the tailor and have a skirt and dress made. I’m really excited! It’ll be nice to have some new clothes to wear.
That’s all for now! I’m sitting under my mosquito net at the moment. There seems to be more mosquitoes lately, I think it’s because of the rainy season!
Best wishes,
Pauline

No comments:

Post a Comment