Thursday 16 September 2010

The beginning

Hi all,
I've finally got around to starting my blog. Today, was my first full day in my new town of Ngororero. It is a small town in the west province of Rwanda. It is a truly beautiful place. Everywhere there are hills. It is very green and it seems like everywhere there is something being grown.
I woke up at 5.50 to the sound of children and animals. I got up and sucessfully managed to light the kerosene stove. I had a breakfast of Rwandan tea and bananas. I left my new home at about 7.30 for the short walk to the office. Along the way I stopped off at Katie's house for directions. Katie is a peacecorps volunteer that also lives in Ngororero.
When I reached the office I received a very warm welcome. I was given the grand tour of the town by Oswald. He is a neighbour of mine that works at the District office. He speaks excellent English so he was a brilliant person to introduce me to the town.I was introduced to all of the staff at the distict office (where I will work when I am not visiting schools). I was even introduced to the Mayor of the town.  Then we visited the local health centre which is run by a Roman Catholic Church. We then visited the priest who invited us to share breakfast with him. We had avacados, (Síle would love it here, there are avacodos growing all over the place) imineke (bananas), porridge and some bread that it baked in the grounds of the church. The night before I was given a Kinyarwanda name by an American volunteer. I'm not sure how to spell it but it means calm and thoughtful. The priest was very amused by this and baptised me (there was no water involved so I reckon I don't need to change my passport!)
Then we visited the local market where fruit, vegetables, meat, clothes, eggs and meat are sold every Wednesday and Saturday. The market is a very impressive, I'll add a photos soon.
I then went to the bus stop. There are regular buses to Kigali, Gitarama and other destinations so I will be able to visit more of Rwanda easily.
Afterwards, we went to visit the Genocide Memorial Centre. This was previously a convention centre. It stands in a hill and from there it is possible to see the mosque on a neighbouring hill.We then walked up the hill to the police station where I was introduced to some of the local policemen and a policewoman.
Our next stop was a new ICT centre. I met a lovely woman who is the manager. She explained to me about the work of the ICT centre.
Other stops included the bank, the immigration office, the health insurance office and the social security office.
All in all it was a very enjoyable tour.
That was my day up until about 11.30! I'll try to add more tomorrow evening!
Thinking of all my friends in Ireland!
Pauline

3 comments:

  1. Emmm ... how come all the stuff beside your entry is in Spanish? Just wondering. Sounds like you got off to a great start! Enjoy! Alfred is dying of jealousy, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Ruairí, not sure why it was in Spanish but after 20 mins. figuring out the settings I've managed to switch it. Hi to Alfred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pauline, great to see all the pics and hear all your news. Granny is staying with me she is delighted to hear you are getting on so well. Looking forward to seeing more pics, All the Best Dorothy

    ReplyDelete